Monday, April 19, 2010

Where Were You That Day, Mom?

A few weeks ago, Max brought home his library book as he does every week. It was a children’s book about the Oklahoma City bombing.

“I know this was a bad thing that happened in Oklahoma City. And it is where Ms. Kari works and I just wanted to know more.”

We talked a little about what happened that day, where I was, where his dad was and how violence doesn’t solve anything.

Any of us who were in Oklahoma City 15 years ago today, or even those who weren’t, remember exactly what we were doing and how we felt. It seems like it all happened yesterday and it also seems like forever ago. Our city and so many lives were changed. Oklahomans showed strength, courage and resilience while the nation lifted us up as we began the healing process.

What now stands on the site of the Murrah Federal Building is a tribute to “those who were killed, those who survived and those changed forever.“ The Memorial & Museum help educate visitors about the impact of violence, inspire hope and healing and sharing and lessons learned by those affected. Max says he thinks he would like to visit there soon to learn more than what he read in his library book.

As he woke up this morning we talked about the day and I reminded him that it was 15 years ago today that the bombing happened. As I was packing lunch and his backpack he said “I set our DVR for the live coverage, Mom, because I want to watch it when I get home.”

We drove to school down Grand Boulevard and saw the banners hanging from the light poles, each with a name of someone who died 15 years ago today. A reminder to those of us who are running the Memorial Marathon on Sunday why we’re there.

“Mom, I know how when you run, you run your miles for different people, like me. But I think you should run some miles for the 168 people who died, too.”

You can count on it, Max.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing Max's insight - now if I can keep from blubbering at my desk :)

    ReplyDelete