Thursday, April 1, 2010

Listening to the Savage Drummer


This is how my day started last Thursday morning at approximately 7:20 a.m.:

Max: I have a music program today at 2 p.m.

Me: No, I don’t think so. It is just practice.

Max: Mom, my program is today. I am a Savage Drummer. My shirt has feathers.

Me: I really don’t think it is today, but let me check.

So began my search of the school newsletter, website, then a text to my friend Margaret saying “ I think Max is confused…is there a program today?”

Return text from Margaret: Max is right, the program is at 2 p.m. today.

Me: AHHHHH!!!

While I knew there was a program coming up because I had sent the required costume elements, I had absolutely no idea it was Thursday. How did I miss it? I am diligent about reviewing the school newsletter, website, etc. but for some reason this one just slipped right on by. That happens, right?

Luckily my afternoon was open and I could attend the 1st & 2nd grade “Shipwreck” musical to see Max as a Savage Drummer. Mommy guilt diverted. Barely.

This made me think about listening…truly listening when your kid tells you something. I'm learning they're usually right on. But I assumed because I didn’t know about it, it meant it wasn’t happening. Not true. Max knew his program was at 2 p.m. and told me more than once. Apparently, he listened much better than I did.

“Max, you’re right. You do have a music program today. I’m sorry I didn’t listen to you,” I said.

“That’s OK, Mom. I understand. Even Moms forget to listen sometimes, but not very often, right?”

I can only hope.


(Photo: That's Duncan, Max's buddy & fellow Savage Drummer)

No comments:

Post a Comment