Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Tooth That Wouldn't Come Out

Max lost his first tooth in November 2007 during kindergarten. He pulled it out himself and was quite matter of fact about it. The rest came out easily—one was swallowed because it came out while he was eating a Subway sandwich—and yes, we had to discuss how it would leave his body.

But then, there’s the tooth that wouldn’t come out. It has been loose forever. Really, really loose for what seems like a year.

“Max, that tooth is so loose, you can just pull it out.” I told him.

“But Mom, (in his best drama-filled voice) it will HURT and it will BLEED and I AM SCARED.”

“How about biting into an apple, that will help it come out,” I suggested.

“Duh, Mom, I don’t like apples, only applesauce and I doubt it will come out eating applesauce.”

True.

Max had a dentist appointment in December and after the examination Dr. Guthrie explained that he and Max discussed in great detail how the tooth really needed to come out and Max assured him that he would take care of it immediately.

Umm, right.

Fast forward to now. Yes, I have reminded, asked, begged, offered, and still, the tooth is there.

Tonight, as I watched him wiggling it with his tongue and making a weird noise, I decided it was ultimatum time.

“OK, Max here’s the deal. The tooth has got to come out. Either you pull it or I am.”

“Mom, no, let’s talk about it. I really want to talk about it.”

This is his number one stall tactic…talking about it. Which consists of his stellar negotiation skills that will serve him well someday in the real world. Just not now or with me.

“There is nothing to talk about. The tooth is hanging. You have another tooth trying to come in and the baby tooth is in the way. What’s your decision, you or me?”

There was fretting, stalling and finally, he sat down on my lap and said, “OK Mom, let’s do this.”

So before he could change his mind, I reached in and without much effort, the tooth was out.

“WOO HOO AWESOME, that didn’t even HURT and I don’t feel any BLOOD and now it is OUT and the Tooth Fairy can come. Thanks Mom, you are the BEST!” And then, he high-fived me.

After he inspected the tooth and grinned at himself in the mirror, we tucked the tooth in the pocket of the Tooth Fairy pillow and put it on the end of the bed.

“Mom, I’m kinda going to miss that little baby tooth that I wiggled all the time and made that cool noise,” he said. “Oh, well it was time 'cause it has been loose forever."

Exactly.

No comments:

Post a Comment