Sunday, February 14, 2010

President's Day: The Second Grade Version

Max: We’re having a President’s Day program and I have to choose a president to research. I have to give Mrs. Phoenix my top three.

Me: Who are your top three?

Max: Bill Clinton, Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush

Me: What made you choose them?

Max: Well, Bill Clinton was a guest on the PBS show “Arthur” and I liked that show when I was a kid. Ronald Reagan…well, he’s dead and I thought I should have one on my list who is dead. And George W. Bush, well, I think he might be cool. Or at least kind of cool. But I don’t think everyone thinks so.

Max was given Bill Clinton to research and apparently, was the only kid in second grade who requested Bill Clinton. Parents were told that all research must be done at school because there are things about certain presidents (Bill Clinton) that kids can find on the Internet so at school they can be sure only second grade appropriate information is available.

He's worked hard on his report the past few weeks and has shared lots of interesting facts with me: "Mom, Did you know Bill was impeached by Congress?" (Yes, he is now fondly referring to him as Bill.) On Tuesday at the Christ the King Second Grade President’s Day Program, Max will dress up like Bill and present his report. I asked Max how he should dress and was told that Bill "always wears suits with white shirts." So now I am frantically working on a costume. Stay tuned…photos will be posted on Tuesday.

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see what happens next! This is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an original F.O.B. (Friend of Bill) button from teh '92 election ... maybe Max would like to borrow? And don't forget the red or yellow tie. Think those two were his most often worn colors...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait! Libby has Andrew Jackson and is dressing up like his wife, Rachel, who was famous for smoking a corn cob pipe. Yep...I ordered her one off of eBay. See you in the morning!

    ReplyDelete