Monday, March 26, 2012

With A Little Help From My Friends...


"Mom, don't be sad that you can't run. It's OK to take a break sometimes."

This weekend, I did something I haven't done since I became a runner: I was a spectator. Thanks to the stress fracture in my fourth metatarsal and the lovely Frankenshoe, I've got at least 10 days (but who's counting) until I can even think about running.

The past few weeks without running has made me realize a few things. One, I've been pushing myself too much, not listening to my body and not running my own race. No matter how I felt or what hurt, I ran. I wasn't letting myself recover after long runs and I didn't take time off after my fall marathon. So basically, I have myself to thank for this. Lesson learned.

I prepared myself to cheer on my friends at the Rock & Roll Half in Dallas and I let myself feel sad & disappointed. But I quickly let let it go. Wallowing in self-pity would do no good and it's not my style. I had a cow bell to ring, a sign to hold and encouragement to give--to my running buddies and complete strangers.

While I stood in various points along the 13.1 mile route, I scanned the crowd for faces of my friends and found myself watching those I didn't know. I wondered about their running story: Was it their first half? Their 20th? Was the smile on their face real or were they struggling? Why did they become a runner? Are they doing something they never thought they'd do?

Even though I had no other choice, I was exactly where I needed to be on Sunday...cheering, encouraging, offering hugs & "you can do it" because that's what my friends needed. And it's what I needed too. While I was there to encourage them, they ultimately encouraged me. I experienced the sport I love from a new vantage point and it reminded me why I run.

Around mile 9, I stood holding my sign as a woman ran past & pointed at my boot. "Next race, you'll be back stronger than before."

Yes I will.

(About the photo above: This was the sign we held. It elicited tons of laughs. Mark and I decided if there was a contest for best sign a the Rock & Roll Half, we would have won.)

1 comment:

  1. As I have told you I could NOT have done it without you. You were the shoulder I needed to breakdown on and the swift kick to my rear to get me back on the course. Thank you doesn't describe my gratitude for your support this weekend (and always ;))!!!

    ReplyDelete