Wednesday, August 25, 2010

To Save or Not to Save


Lately I have been in a cleaning/organizing mood. This hits me every so often and I actually enjoy it. It makes me feel in control (which I love) and less scattered.

With my recent organizational frenzy, I have discovered 5-6, OK maybe 7 plastic tubs with collections of papers, artwork, scribbles, handprints “What we did today” sheets from preschool, kindergarten work, second grade work, letters and much more. I have one child. Seriously….when did I become a pack rat?

Actually, I am just sentimental. Max’s first time to scribble with a marker? I must save it! A Thanksgiving placemat with his handprint from preschool? I’ve got it. His first construction paper valentine? It’s in there. And the cute drawing above? I will show it to him the first time he says he hates me.

Before long, 7 plastic tubs will be 10, then 12 and then an entire room of plastic boxes and papers. YIKES! So how do I decide what to save? My friend Stacy, mother of two, says she saves 20 – 30 things from each year—the things that are most meaningful or special. Another friend puts her children’s artwork on the walls of her garage. An article I read suggested taking photographs of pieces of artwork or items that might be too hard to save…like the cow head Max wore in a second grade play. But to me, the photos create yet another issue that falls in line with the guilt I have over the unfinished scrapbooks stacked in a closet. Rome wasn’t built in a day, my mother says, so organizing scrapbooks will have to wait.

Anyway, I watch some of the organize your home shows on TLC & HGTV and can completely get behind the mini-therapy sessions that occur with conversations like “It isn’t the things that matter, it is the memories” and “You don’t need paper (or trophies or doll collections or moose heads) to remember what a person meant to you.” I will need to remind myself of that as I sort through my boxes, a task I find a bit overwhelming.

My goal is to work on the boxes a little each week and finish before the end of September. Or October. Or maybe, I will just hold on to it all a little while longer. Isn't that what under the bed boxes are for?

(One more thing... I am now blogging for www.405moms.com, a site for Oklahoma City moms with lots of great resources, ideas, blogs and more. If you're a mom, or even if you're not, stop by and check it out.)

No comments:

Post a Comment